Sunday, August 12, 2018

August 12 - Sunday Walk Through Santa Cruz

With almost everything closed on Sunday, it is a good day to do laundry, cook, and do a little extra Spanish practice. 

This afternoon, I did take a nice walk in the beautiful sunshine. 

Like most of my long walks, I didn't really have a plan.  I walked across the Triana bridge and walked down around the Cathedral first.  There was a mass going on, but people were still walking in and out as if it was open for touring. 
I realized that I was close to the place where we will need to go on Wednesday for our concert, so I stopped by there to check it out.  I am looking forward to getting a chance to go inside and look around at the gardens a little before the concert.  At some point in the next year, we will actually take full tours of some of these places...
Next I walked around the neighborhood of Santa Cruz.  It is an interesting neighborhood that has the Hospital de los Venerables - a 16th century building that used to serve as a home for priests but is now a museum.  Not sure where the retired priests live now... 
It also has some very narrow streets - which are nice and shady for walking...
But, when there is a traffic jam, there is no where to turn - this line of about 20 cars was full of lots of unhappy, honking taxis...

I regularly see things that remind me of the United States... like this Los Angeles ice cream shop that uses a font that reminded me of the Dodgers.
But, for now, when I turn this corner,
and walk into this hallway,
I am home.