Monday, June 18, 2018

June 18 - St. Louis MO to Horse Cave KY

Man the states go fast on this side of the country - today we hit Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, and Kentucky.

We stopped off at Mammoth Caves National Park this afternoon and did some above ground hiking.  It is so nice to be back where there is humidity and no wind.  On all the trails you can see signs of the caves below.  We have reservations for two hikes tomorrow into the caves.

At the campsite tonight we are surrounded by fireflies.  I will resist running around and trying to catch some to put in a mason jar - but that is mostly because I ate about 10 pounds of pulled pork (maybe a slight exaggeration) for dinner, and I mostly want to climb into the tent and sleep.

Sadly we didn't get to meet up with Elizabeth today - I wish we had realized earlier how close we were going to be so that we could have planned better.  

Tomorrow - mostly underground.  I can't wait.