Tuesday, June 19, 2018

June 19- Mammoth Caves

It is campgrounds like this that make me glad I can make it through the night without a trip to the bathroom.  The facilities are nice, but who decided that the bathrooms should be close to the RV sites (HELLO - most of them have their own bathrooms) and far far away from the tent sites.  Alas.

This morning's hike was in a beautiful part of Mammoth Cave.  It is also very cool (literally - 54 degrees) to be underground as summer rages on above.  We didn't see any bats, but we did see some very large cave crickets.


During the break between our morning and afternoon cave hikes, we did a couple of short above ground hikes around large sink holes.  My favorite part was the information signs.  They are both informative and a fantastic excuse to take a break.  At this stop, I take a quick picture and then suck air as we have just climbed roughly 10 billion steps.  (I said roughly.)
The afternoon walk was in a completely different part of the cave and included a tight passage named "Fat Man's Misery" - I can assure you that this is not part of the advertisement for this tour.  There was also a rather long unnamed passage that the people behind us dubbed "Tall Man's Misery", luckily, I was short enough to stay upright for most of that passage.  Sadly, Albert may need advil for his back after his extended hunch.

Tonight is the last night in the tent for a year.  I will be a little sad to pack it all away tomorrow, but I am looking forward to being back in a bed for a while.  Tomorrow - on to Atlanta.