Thursday, July 12, 2018

July 12 - Lots of Studying

The weather was very cool today for Sevilla in summer - with a high of 81 degrees (historical average high for July 12 is 97).  So after watching some baseball and bicycle racing on TV, Albert and I headed out into the city for a nice walk.

We started by finding a paper store where we bought index cards and a notebook for Albert and I to use in our academic pursuits.  We then took a meandering walk around town checking out the many shops and squares.

We came upon a Catholic shop that sold figurines wearing capriotes (canonical hats).  During the Spanish Inquisition, people who were arrested had to wear a paper capriote in public as a sign of humiliation (think dunce cap).  Later, Catholic brotherhoods in Spain kept the capriotes (now cloth) as a symbol of penitence - they still wear them during parades and holy week ceremonies.  The anti-Catholic KKK is thought to have modeled their own headwear (again, think dunce cap) partly in mockery of the Spanish priests who tried to curtail the French Catholics in their celebration of Mardi Gras in New Orleans. 

We also walked around the bull ring.  There was a NOVILLADA SIN PICADORES scheduled for tonight.  This is (I think) where bullfighters who have not yet turned professional fight young/weak bulls and the fights are done with the bullfighter on foot (as opposed to on horseback).  I must say that although I would like to take a tour of the bullring, I am not convinced that I want to actually SEE a bullfight.  On the one hand, the whole thing seems exceptionally cruel - on the other hand - I made hamburgers for lunch yesterday so who am I to judge.

After our walk and lunch, I started studying (and organizing my notes on some of my new index cards).  I got so involved that two hours flew by and I was nearly late leaving for school.  Luckily, it was still cool out and I was able to rush a little, arrive at class a few minutes before it started, and not end up a sweaty mess.  
Albert met me at school after class at 7:30 and we walked home together and then to the market to buy a few things for tomorrow's breakfast.  

Then, a little more studying and now off to bed hopefully to dream of Spanish verbs and not bullfights nor the KKK.