Friday, July 20, 2018

June 20 - A New Desk

This morning, Mario and Palma came by with a desk for our second bedroom.  We have done fine working on the dining room table, but when they offered a desk so that we would have a second workspace, we said yes.  The desk is HEAVY and beautiful.  Palma's father made it with the base coming from her grandmothers sewing machine.  Albert worked there for a long time today - and really likes it.

When they came by, they also brought a paper copy of the schedule of events for the festival (which officially starts tomorrow).  There was a night regatta in the river this evening that we went down to check out.  During the races, a safety boat road alongside - since the normal tourist boats kept running, I was glad that the racers had some protection.  

With one more week under my belt in Spanish, I feel like I am making slow but steady progress.  I registered for four more weeks.  My classmate who attended the Bullfights last night confirmed that they are awful and gruesome.  I did not require much convincing - attending a bullfight was never on my "must do while in Sevilla" list, and after hearing her talk about it, it dropped even further.

After class tonight, I took a meandering walk home.  I found a square that I don't think I have been in before.  It houses the Bank of Spain.
Of course, in addition to the beautiful and interesting bulidings, plazas, fountains, and statues - there are about 1 billion (give or take) touristy shops in the down town area selling Flamenco dancer costumes for children, nick-nacks, post cards, and of course T-shirts.
Tomorrow at midnight, the festival lights will go on for the first time.   I am looking forward to seeing everything all lit up.