Saturday, July 7, 2018

July 7 - Our First Cafe

Went to the cafe to meet Mario and Palma (our amazing landlords) for second breakfast.  It was not MY second breakfast - it was my first breakfast - and as it turns out, it was also my lunch.  These people eat and drink all day.  I am not complaining, I just can't keep up. 

We had a pretty mellow day, spent a good deal of time in the apartment.  It is so nice to be able to get books from the library at home on my kindle here.  One of our primary difficulties when we lived in Budapest for the year was finding enough English books to read.  It is nice to have a steady supply without ever having to find an open shop.

We did our regular shopping this afternoon, and I cooked dinner.  Bruschetta and lemon chicken in an onion and pepper sauce.  (Making up recipies based on what I can find in the markets - thankfully I have a tolerant audience.)

Albert stayed home while I took my evening walk.  He did go out to take out the trash, but when it is still in the high 30's (that is Celsius), he prefers to opt out of the longer walks.  
I love the warm temperatures and the surprises that await me around every corner - like the lovely fenced in courtyards between buildings 

and the occasional modern building.



Toward the end of my walk, I came upon a religious parade.  In addition to a number of people carrying staffs topped with crosses and a band, there was a fairly ornate "paso".  It was decorated with a number of large candles.  

A man walked along beside with a ladder and every time one of the candles would go out (it happened a lot with the breeze) - they would stop, he would set up the ladder and relight the candles, then they would continue on.   At one stop, I was able to get close enough to answer the burning question - is that thing on wheels?  Nope, it is being carried underneath by some very warm men lugging it along in the persistent cloud of incense.  

I can't begin to imagine what it will be like here during Easter season.