Saturday, July 21, 2018

July 21 - A Long Walk

I decided that today I would make my way to the northern part of town that I like to think of as "Little America".  It contains a Costco, McDonalds, Burger King, and KFC.  It is a little over 4 miles from our house.

On my way there, I chose to walk along the road close to the river.  It is pretty direct but does pass through a relatively industrial (read ugly) part of town.  After a rather unfortunate encounter with a very drunk man and a very positive encounter with a young couple who stopped their car to make sure everything was ok - I made it to Costco.

No surprise, it is very similar to the Costco at home.  Lots of the products are sold in quantities that are a little smaller than the ones at home, but still too big for our situation here.  Of course, the stock is not identical, there are some things not available here and some things that are pure southern Spain - like a whole isle of olive oil.  Not to worry though, if you need a HUGE birthday cake with raspberry filling or a 2 pound bag of peanut M&Ms while visiting Sevilla - I can help. 
I took a much longer, but much prettier route home.  More beautiful buildings ....
and interesting stores.  In one bakery window, they had cake toppers for first communion cakes,  baby shower cakes, and of course wedding cakes.

After my long walk, I came home and regrouped for a while before going out with Albert to pick up a few things at the market to make sure we had food for Sunday when everything is closed.  Luckily he had been out while I was on my walk and had already bought most of the heavy stuff! 

Tonight - the Triana festival officially begins with the lighting of the bridge at midnight.  We went down a little early and admired the HUGE crowds.  

Then took a few photos of the lights before heading home.


Now to bed to rest my weary legs!