Tuesday, July 31, 2018

July 31 - Last of the cool days for a while

With the heat just starting to ramp up (supposed to be 109 by Thursday), Albert is careful about getting out for his run before it really starts to get hot.  I, on the other hand, have not changed much.  Luckily, my exercise (walking and biking) don't require cool mornings.

I do try to leave a little earlier for class so that I can walk slow since our classroom is small, our class is long, and I don't want to be gross and sweaty.  I have made the walk enough times now that I can maximize my time on streets with shade covers and cafes with misters that cool off not only the patrons but the sidewalk.  If it gets really bad, I could always ride a bike, but I really do enjoy the walk. 

Speaking of bikes, we got our bike rental cards in the mail today.  It is hard to explain why I am happy - we have been using the bikes for weeks just fine without the cards because we know our codes.  But, the idea that I was able to successfully navigate the bureaucracy and get the cards to show up in our mailbox made me happy nonetheless.  Now, if we actually get our residency cards on August 27th - I will really celebrate.

A new student (from South Korea) joined our class today.  So now we have two students from South Korea, two students from Wales, and me.  Like every Tuesday, I went to intercambio for two hours after class.  Although this part of the day is difficult, it is getting better.   I am still pretty slow and need to look up words as I go, but at least I can keep up my end of a simple conversation.  I saw the student from Algeria there and we chatted for a few minutes (in Spanish, of course) - he is thinking of switching from the morning class to our afternoon class.  He is living with his Spanish girlfriend and they only speak Spanish at home - I think he will outgrow our class pretty quickly.

The temperature for the walk home when I get out of intercambio at 10pm is pretty much perfect.  I stopped for a few minutes on the bridge just to enjoy the view - both of myself and the city lights :)
While I was there, a horse and cart went across... I don't know how many hours a day those horses are pulling those carts of tourists - but it seems kind of cruel to have them working long hours on these hot days.  Hopefully they get lots of water breaks.  

Now it is 11:45 and the party at the bar across the street is in full swing.   I know that the young man from Spain who is my primary partner at intercambio was sober today for the first time since Saturday night when his restaurant closed for the month of August.  I am curious about how many of people in this crowd at the foot of our building are "kicking off" their month of holiday tonight on this last day of July.  

Mario and Palma are at the beach for a few days.  We will get together with them when they get back before they go to Germany for their big holiday.