Sunday, July 8, 2018

July 8 - Nature and Battling Culture Shock

Today we did laundry - turns out that the hot and dry weather makes for fast laundry drying on the roof. 

Albert decided to join me on my afternoon walk - everything was a little quieter because it is Sunday and many of the side street shops and cafes are closed.  We spotted a few oranges that were actually orange on one of the trees along the street.  There are 25,000 orange trees in Sevilla - you wouldn't want to eat the oranges-too bitter, but according to our landlady, the entire city smells like oranges in March. 
We walked down to the river - lots of birds and flowering plants and of course snails in the park.  Not much of a view of the river, but it made for a nice walk.  The season for eating snails in Sevilla is May/June - not sure I will talk Albert into trying them, but I figure I have 10 months to work on it.

Our neighborhood has a number of gelato shops.  Gelato is similar to ice cream but is a little softer and lower in fat.  So, it is close to soft serve but not quite the same.  Albert has been craving this taste of home, so on this evenings walk we found a McDonalds and he had a caramel sundae.  I gave it a pass.  I am still holding out for some of the beautiful pastry or gelato or both.
The McDonalds is in a large building across the street from the main Bus Station.  There is a movie theatre (might have to wait until our Spanish improves - a lot), lots of art shops, a few small restaurants, and a touristy dance school.  Maybe I should take some Mambo lessons?