Saturday, July 28, 2018

July 28 - Beautiful Sunshine and Chocolate Gelato

Albert and I took a nice walk this morning along a trail beside the river.  It is a path that he frequents, but most of my walking is along city streets; so this was a change of pace for me.  It has been beautiful and sunny every day that we have been here and today was no exception.

At the end of the path is a park that contains a HUGE bronze statue of an egg with Columbus standing inside.  For some context, I include this story:

During a dinner celebrating Columbus, a noble suggested that even if Columbus hadn't discovered the new world  that there would have been someone else who tried and succeeded.  (I know, just ignore the fact that we are assuming Columbus somehow discovered a continent that was already inhabited...)  Anyway, at that point, Columbus challenged the people at the table to balance an egg upright.  When nobody could, Columbus cut off the tip of the egg and stood it on the table.  The expression "egg of Columbus" was introduced as a Spanish phrase referring to something that seems difficult but becomes easy after seeing someone else's solution.

I like this story because it makes me think of mathematics proofs. I also like this 45 meter high statue and how it makes the fountain surrounding it seem almost silly.



On the bike ride home, I noticed this stop sign.  STOP is not the Spanish word for stop - but in most of Europe, the stop signs look basically the same.  Not sure how most of the western world can agree on the words for taxi and stop and OK, but we can't agree on a word for hello...

After a rest, some Spanish practice, grocery shopping, cooking, eating, and more Spanish - we took a walk to a bookstore downtown.  I bought this book.  It highlights difficulties in Spanish that English speakers have.  I like it - but it is MUCH too small to highlight all of the difficulties that this English speaker has.
Then, to a new (to us) gelato place.  Mmmmm Belgian Chocolate gelato.  What a nice way to end a day.

Tomorrow we meet with Mario and Palma.