Monday, April 15, 2019

April 15 - More Semana Santa

This morning, I had class at 9am which meant leaving home at around 8:30.  I was surprised to find on my way to school that all of the street level chairs and rails had been stacked and locked over night - my guess is that it helps with street cleaning since the streets were also clean.  But wow, what an enormous amount of work every night...

The first procession started at 11:30 this morning, but didn't make it to the center of town until around 4:30, so when I got out of class at 12:30 the folks were just starting to reset the chairs and barriers.

I did notice this woman with A LOT of sandwiches!  Not sure if she is feeding a church group or just taking them somewhere to resell or what.  Lots of businesses that don't normally sell food and drinks are selling pre-made sandwiches and cold drinks this week.  With the tens of thousands of people in the streets, I guess it makes sense.

When I got home, Albert and I went out and found a gym for him for the rest of our time here - a good chance to practice Spanish.  Then grocery shopping (may not even need to go again before our trip to Budapest) and finally a trip over to pick up a new watch band.

This afternoon, I stayed in and did my homework and some studying and then Albert and I watched a bike race on TV.

At around 8:00, I headed out to watch some of the evening processions.  They are really pretty with the candlelight, but I couldn't get a good picture to capture one.  The streets in the center of the city were just walls of people.  If you don't like people in your personal space, this would be a very disturbing event for you.  You are basically chest to back and arm to arm for blocks at a time.  But, I found people to be pretty polite and had lots of short conversations with folks as we all made our way to different processions.  
Of course, I really like the bands.  But, I watched a silent procession today that was very beautiful.  I was impressed with how respectful and silent the crowd was as it passed.

Getting home was not easy since lots of streets were blocked with processions (which can take up to a couple of hours to pass), but luckily I am pretty familiar now with the city and only had to go about a quarter of mile out of my way.  It was a beautiful night, so I was able to just enjoy the walk.  There was a serious taxi line at the bus station (maybe 100 people).  I am not sure where they were all going, but I am glad to have been on foot.
It is almost midnight now and tonight's Triana procession is just starting to make its way through the neighborhood, I can hear the drums.  The last paso is scheduled to enter the church at around 2am.  When I came in, there was a pretty good crowd on the bridge and lining the road, but our road was clear. 

Now, off to bed so I can be sharp (or at least not totally dull) for class tomorrow morning!