Monday, April 8, 2019

April 8 - Dog Walk

This morning, Palma sent us a detailed e-mail about the proclamation of  Holy Week (Semana Santa) that happened yesterday (I had already watched it on youtube thanks to a head's up by my teacher) and some artistic information about some of the most impressive pasos that (weather depending) will be part of processions next week.

I spent quite a while formulating a Spanish response - ugh, I am still so slow.

In class today, my teacher had a program of next week's activities for each student in the class.  It is very interesting -  it contains the schedules, some photos, and lots of information about the processions (how many pasos in each procession, which churches and brotherhoods each represents, artistic credit for the pasos, the colors/styles worn by the nazarenos and how many will be marching, and info about the bands).  It is a 90 page program and it doesn't even contain maps (they are available via a Semana Santa in Sevilla app).  I am so looking forward to seeing what this actually looks like in person.  I am a little sad that we will miss the midnight-noon solemn processions on Thursday night/Friday morning - I understand they are amazing, but we will be in Budapest and I am excited to see Budapest again.
We had had some rain this morning, so after class I needed to do some walking.  Unlike my normal wanderings around the city, today I walked with a woman from my class and her two dogs.  We managed to stay in Spanish for about 45 minutes, but then switched to English and never switched back.  We walked along the river (where Albert normally walks).  

After we split up, I walked on for another half hour or so, but then it started getting cool with the sun down, and I headed home.  Luckily the rain seems to be gone for now, although it still looks like it will be cool again tomorrow - only in the high 60's.