Sunday, April 7, 2019

April 7 - Traditional Spanish Tortilla

Another rainy day... a perfect day to spend in the warm kitchen.  I cook pretty regularly, but most of our meals are adaptations of things we would eat in the US with modifications for available ingredients and kitchen tools.  But, this morning, I figured it was time to make one of the really popular dishes in Spain - a Spanish Tortilla.  It is not complicated - it is really just a potato and onion omelet pie, but I had just never gotten around to it.  Today was the day.  It turned out OK- nothing fantastic, but it was a nice lunch.

I also made a large pot of Chicken Tortilla Soup (Mexican tortillas - not Spanish).  I put it together this morning while Albert went out for his run - by dinner time it was ready and now there are leftovers for this week!

This afternoon, I headed out for my walk.  Albert started with me and we headed over to check on the progress of the fair grounds.  There are now tents as far as the eye can see, although they are still in various stages of construction.
The front gate and the strings of lights are coming right along.  Only one week to Holy Week and four weeks until fair.  
At that point in the walk, it looked like the rain was coming back; Albert headed home.  I had a waterproof jacket and needed to get some exercise, so I walked for another hour or so.

About 10 minutes after separating, the rain started down in earnest.  I really hope that Holy Week is dry.  So many people have invested so much time/money/energy into preparing for the processions which do not happen in the rain....  Maybe we are just getting it all out of the way now- fingers crossed.

As I crossed the bridge toward home, I noticed the hourly tour boat still making it's trip.  It is almost always full on the weekends - especially in spring - but today, people have clearly opted for activities more protected from the weather - the upper deck only had one brave couple.