Wednesday, April 3, 2019

April 3 - University of Sevilla

Barack Obama was in Sevilla today to meet with Spain's president.  It was only a minor news story, but being from the US, I suppose people thought of us when they saw the news.  So, Mario (our landlord) sent a link with the news article, a woman last night at intercambio mentioned it to me, and two different professors at school mentioned it today.  Since he was not scheduled for any public appearances, it was interesting that he is here, I suppose, but there was no associated action to take.  I did make a quick trip over to the hotel where he stayed on my walk just to commemorate his visit.

While I was in that part of town, I stopped by the University of Sevilla's main building (the old tobacco factory).  There was a public event taking place on the back patio, so the building was all open.  I had never been inside to look around, so I took the opportunity today.  It is a beautiful building with lots of interesting art inside.  

I walked along the river on my way home.  It was a perfect day with temperatures in the 70's and lots of sunshine.  There were dozens of rowers out.  One large group of about 15 boats was being coached by a guy in a motor boat.  I watched them do a couple of laps before heading in for the night.