Thursday, January 24, 2019

January 24 - Back Home

I am back home with good computer access - so hopefully, I am also back to doing a daily blog entry.

Tuesday was not quite as cold as Monday - but it was still cold and there was no lingering outside after the short graveside service.  John, Luke, and Katie Jo left straight from the cemetery to catch their flights back to the midwest - they all eventually made it but not without some delayed and diverted flights.  The rest of us went back to the house for lunch - lots of leftovers.  I started the thank you notes while everyone else started other jobs on the seemingly endless list.  After lunch, Ric headed back to DC for work and Keith headed home.

Jo-Anne, Albert, and I went for a walk at the beach bundled up in coats and hats while Kathy and the girls went to the outlet mall to spend some quality indoor time together.
Jamie (Keith's girlfriend) came back to the house with Keith right before dinner where we presented her with a small gift and card for her birthday.  
Then we all went out for a last dinner together.  Sadly Keith and Jamie had to go before we took a group photo.  I took a couple with Kathy enjoying some time off her feet in a wheelchair that is NOT hers.

And then our great waitress was kind enough to get a group photo.
Then some tearful goodbyes and the girls and I headed out toward Baltimore.  We tried twice to stop for Rita's on our way, but both were closed even though Google claimed they would be open - SADNESS.

The drive took a couple of hours and except for the Rita's, there were no problems.  Sadly, the hotel was a bit of a disaster.  They had had pipes break earlier in the day that flooded the entire downstairs.  The room was fine (electricity, hot water, clean, ...) but there were no other services (pool, breakfast, business center, gym...).  Just lines of blowers all the way around the lobby area.
We finally got to sleep around midnight.  Sadly, the first alarm was set for 3:30 to get Rachel to the airport for a 5 am flight.  I dropped her off and came back - then at 4:30 Emily needed to get up to catch her flight.  I dropped her off and came back.  I took a quick nap and then headed out to Philadelphia to catch my first flight.

From then until Thursday afternoon, I was in planes and airports.  I had nearly 5 hours in the New York airport - time to enjoy some art and get in my 5 miles of walking.

It was great to get off the airport bus and walk across the bridge and step into the apartment.

It is sunny and in the low 60's.  I am doing some laundry - and then I plan to go for a short walk to finish off my five miles for the day.  I will start back in class tomorrow after a good night's sleep.  We also made the final car reservation for Albert for the first leg of his trip back on Saturday.  It will be good to have him home.