Tuesday, August 14, 2018

August 14 - Another Round of Cookies

I love food.  I love to eat it, of course, but I also love to cook.  Although I have always experimented with ingredients and methods in small ways, I basically understand how to use the available ingredients and kitchen tools in my cooking adventures in the US.  Here, the back and forth between what is available and ideas for how to use the available resources is considerably more complicated.  It is interesting and fun, but it is like going back 30 years when I was first really figuring out how to cook - not everything works, but successes call for small celebrations.

Today, let us celebrate cookies.  You might be saying to yourself, good grief, I have been able to make a batch of cookies since I was 10, but please let me explain.  I don't have access to a cookie sheet or cooling racks or a mixer or a particularly large bowl or measuring cups or measuring spoons.  I can't find vanilla extract or vanilla bean or soft brown sugar.  I went to a number of stores before finding white sugar that is fine enough and I am on my third type of flour.  I do have great butter, salt and eggs - and some baking soda (sold in the farmacia).  I experimented with some vanilla sugar for flavor and a combination of two other types of sugar - and today, I managed to bake some cookies that were at least good enough to share with my class.  Crispy around the edges, lacy on the bottom, and a little chewy in the middle - a little too sweet, but close. 
You might ask why I don't just skip it altogether and go out for gelato.  I have no good answer.

Today was intercambio - my regular partner is in Croatia - and most of the people from my class don't go anymore - so it was all new people for me.  Good practice, but exhausting.

On my way over the bridge, I spotted this couple getting their wedding photos taken.  
The street outside is hopping tonight - I am not surprised - it is much cooler than it has been and nobody works tomorrow!