Thursday, August 23, 2018

August 23 - Macarena

After class today, I attended a "bonus" culture class.  Although the theme was "summer vacations in Spain", actually it was just an hour and a half small group with practice listening and speaking.  It was good for me, but it meant that I was in class from 4:00-9:15 and I hadn't really done much walking yet.

In the bonus class, we learned about a song that was popular in the 90's about a girl from a famous neighborhood in Sevilla.  So, I set out to check out the neighborhood and the large church in the center of it.

It is a beautiful church.  And let's face it, who wouldn't want to be standing in the square in the center of ....Macarena.  Now, those of you who know me well will be both surprised and relieved to know that I did not in fact break out into dance with a sidewalk Macarena.  

On the way home, I noticed these hooks outside a grocery store...

I also came across this English language school.  However difficult Spanish is for me (and it is), I can say without question, that I would not want to be trying to learn English as my second language instead.

When I got close to home, the streets were hopping!  Even a small cafe in the Triana market had live music and a lively crowd.  But, they weren't doing the Macarena....if they had been, I might have joined them.  It's only 11 o'clock, I'm not THAT tired.