Saturday, December 1, 2018

December 1 - Shopping Day

With all of the stores closed on Sunday, I decided to use today to shop a little more than usual.  First, Albert and I did our usual grocery store run - nothing special, but now that we are down to only a few leftovers, we needed to stock up again for actual cooking.

Then, later, we walked over to the mall near the Torre de Sevilla.  We were amazed at the HUGE line of people - some of who appeared to have been camped out for a long time.  We were there at a little after noon and there were hundreds of people in this line.  Turns out, a young woman who was the runner up on a reality singing show in Spain just released the first part of her album on November 30 and was doing signings in Barcelona (on the 30th), in Sevilla (today) and in Madrid (tomorrow).  The signings in Sevilla were scheduled for 4-6pm, so I have no idea if all of those people got their autographed CD's of Aitana or not, but at least they had good weather to wait in line and a Burger King nearby.

After we returned from the mall, I packed up and headed to the bus station.  I wanted to try out my new bus card that allows me to ride buses that go out to the small towns just outside of Sevilla.  One of them has a stop very near the Costco.  The buses run less frequently, but they also make fewer stops -so the idea was that I could get out to the costco in less time on this bus.  At the bus station, they have set up an old trolley car to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the tram system in Sevilla.  While I was checking it out, I noticed the control tower for the buses - never really thought about needing a control tower, but there was someone in it - I guess he gets all of the buses to park in the right places and keeps the information boards up to date in the station.  I also noticed this lady smoking directly next to the no smoking sign.  It is one of the few things I don't like about Sevilla - it is amazing how many people smoke...everywhere....all the time....  Thank goodness there are laws about not smoking in restaurants and people obey them, or I am pretty sure we would never be able to comfortably eat out.

In the end, the bus was delayed and it was not any faster than the city bus.  But, at least I have tested my pass and it works - so we may try to visit some other nearby towns via bus now.  I didn't buy too much at Costco, but I did pick up some more cranberries and pecans and some running gloves for Albert.  There were Star Wars characters all around the front of the store doing photo ops - not sure why, for once I didn't stop to read the signs - heavy groceries and a bus to catch!
Tonight, after dinner I finally spent a little quality Spanish studying time.  Tomorrow is probably going to be a big Spanish day - luckily the shopping and laundry are done.