Saturday, December 29, 2018

December 29 - San Juan

This morning everyone spent some time working - for me that meant a couple of hours of Spanish.

After all the "Christmas eating", I needed my walk today more than ever. I walked back toward the channel of the river that runs behind us, and walked around a park that I had not visited since summer.  It was much greener now - and it was lovely and sunny, but today was in the high sixties instead of above 100.
After walking the length of the park, I found a narrow bike, motorcycle, pedestrian bridge that I didn't know was there.  The pedestrian part was a little narrow but it offered a nice view of the river and the community garden just on the other side of the river.
The little town on the other side is San Juan.  Usually when I cross the river, I cross further north into the small town of Tomares where there are some big box stores (Carrefour and Ikea for example) and a pretty downtown area.  I had never been to San Juan before.

There is a large church on a hill that is really beautiful along with a climbing path with the stations of the cross.  It was warm and sunny and I was the only one there.  I did not climb all the way to the top, but I did look around a little.
Before heading back over the bridge, I walked over to the metro station to check out the cool elevator up the hill.
The sun was going down and I still needed to go the the grocery store, so it was time to head back across.  Lots of good shots of the metro on the metro bridge from my little bridge.

Back on our side of the channel, there is a newish pedestrian bridge that allows you to cross the highway... 
When you exit the other side, you are walking alongside a military installation surrounded by a wall with barbed wire, I figured I would skip the picture taking for that stretch of road.  At the end of the wall is a large entrance - a picture seemed safe at that point.
Then a quick trip to the grocery store where I actually managed to have a conversation with the butcher that resulted in chicken breast fillets then home for a quick rest.  Although Albert had taken a long walk today, the girls had not left the house - so we gathered everyone up and headed down to the big waffle sculpture that has a Christmas festival with booths, lights, rides, ice skating, and a small stage with a local group playing Christmas music.
We stopped off at a couple of stores on the way home - shopping is still in full force here as folks prepare for New Year's parties and the gift giving of Three King's Day.  Then home for dinner and a movie and now off to bed.