Wednesday, December 5, 2018

December 5 - False Friday

With the holiday tomorrow, today is almost like a Friday.  I didn't do a ton of Spanish this evening, but I did finish my homework and do a little studying - so tomorrow really is a bonus day.

On my way home from the market, Pepe (our painter) saw me from down the street and rushed up to let me know that they would not be coming tomorrow (not even a little bit surprised).  The current plan is to come on Friday - but no exact time has been set.  He is a nice guy with a strong southern Spanish accent and our short to the point conversations are perfect for my Spanish level.

This evening, when Albert and I went out for a short walk, we stopped in to check on the progress in the square with the large crown.  Now it is three large crowns.  Albert noticed that they kind of resemble the cages in a circus that the motorcycle guys ride around in.  Pretty sure that is not going to happen.  I don't know exactly when they will be illuminated for the first time, but I do know that the Christmas market in the next square over opens on December 15th - so maybe by then.

On our way home, we saw a small but loud protest against violence against women (there were protests all over Spain after the "Wolfpack" ruling was upheld this morning in northern Spain.)  There were a couple of TV cameras there doing interviews.  

It is interesting to watch from the outside as a population struggles with the same issues that face societies everywhere - was this case an isolated miscarriage of justice?  were the laws interpreted correctly? do the laws need to be changed?  how can populations without power have confidence that the groups with power (who both write and interpret the laws) will actually protect them?  how is this different or the same as what would have happened in the US? 

But, all those big questions will need to be put aside for now - it is long past my bedtime.