Sunday, December 2, 2018

December 2 - The Gifts

Today was a pretty serious Spanish day for me.  We are starting a new topic tomorrow and I wanted to make sure that I had done lots of review.  Of course, I did need to take a couple of breaks.

I made refried beans and we had burritos for lunch during my first break.

Then, I went on a nice walk in the beautiful sunshine for my second break.  There is a lot of construction going on in the city at all times.  Today a piece of construction fencing that had been up since our arrival came down and revealed two statues that I had not seen before.

I headed down to the park next to one of the bus stations to check on the progress of the fair that opens sometime this month for Christmas.  The fair will eventually have an ice skating rink, some kids rides, some booths, a ferris wheel and of course LOTS of lights.
I continued my walk through downtown where there were lots of news trucks supporting election coverage (today is election day in southern Spain).
Then down past the Cathedral to check out some of the ground level decorations (as opposed to the lights across every street).  There are a number of buildings with trees and this large nativity scene.

Then back home to do some more Spanish.

Right before dinner, our landlords stopped by with some "supplies".  They were concerned about the cold floors in the winter and so they bought throw rugs and were concerned with our ability to feed guests with our current kitchen supplies.  Although we certainly didn't "need" any of these things, they are all very nice and we are happy to have them.  They are very thoughtful and generous.  And, we were able to mostly communicate in Spanish.
Then a good block of Spanish this evening and now I am feeling pretty good about class tomorrow.  

It is a bit of a broken week since Thursday is a holiday (Dec 6 is Constitution Day) and then Saturday is The Feast of Immaculate Conception - so lots of people will take Friday off as well.  But, I will have school Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday.  As is always the case with holidays, we will have to adjust our shopping schedule.