Saturday, November 10, 2018

November 10 - Grocery Success

This morning, on our way home from shopping, Albert and I stopped to watch a small group playing in the street.  There were also a few tables and racks set up "garage sale" style with winter coats and a variety of shoes - not sure what exactly was happening, but the music was nice.

After dropping off the groceries, I decided that we should try the Triana Market again to try and find hot peppers.  There are lovely sweet peppers everywhere and dried hot peppers in lots of places, but I had managed to find fresh spicy peppers in exactly zero locations (and I have looked and asked a lot).  But, I had a tip that there really was a place in the Triana Market that usually had a variety of peppers.  We had to look at a lot of stalls and ask quite a few folks... but we had success.  Jalapenos and serranos for us (I skipped the habeneros).  Finally, with fresh cilantro and sweet onions and tomatoes already purchased - some fresh pico de gallo was just around the corner!
This afternoon, I decided to try to build on the pepper success.  So, I headed over to the other side of the river (away from Sevilla).  Last time I was over here, it was over 100 degrees.  It was a nice walk then, but even nicer today.
I went to the Carrefour where I found a couple of things that I can buy other places but they are cheaper at Carrefour - like cookie butter....mmmm.
I also picked up some things that I haven't found other places.  Like pepperoni.  (Pizza is on the menu for tomorrow - this will be our first pepperoni.)
The store also has lots of things that are common in grocery stores at home but that I can't find here but that I also don't need - just good to know they are here in case - like marshmallows and organic peanut butter.
Also, all of the toys and games are out for Christmas.  I didn't buy any, but I was really tempted to buy Dos (not sure how it is different than Uno - maybe twice as good?)
After about an hour in the store, it was time to head back to the metro station and back home to make dinner (and use some of that salsa).  At the metro station, a woman couldn't figure out how to add money to her metro card - luckily my burgeoning Spanish (and familiarity with the metro kiosks) allowed me to help her out - no English.  To be fair, probably only about 10 words of Spanish - but I am still counting it as a success.