Friday, November 23, 2018

November 23 - Guests and Gelato

This morning while I was in class, Albert went to the train station to meet our weekend guests.  They went home and crashed for a while and then met me after class.

We walked around for a little and went to lunch near the cathedral.  It was so fun to hear all about their teaching jobs in Casablanca and about their travel both in Africa earlier in the year and in Spain this week.  They are both great young ladies.

I am kind of sad that so many Christmas decorations are up but that they don't get lit until next weekend.  They are, as a rule, not very pretty during the day and you don't get the benefit of seeing them at night, but it will be really fun to walk around and see them all when they do go on.  This tree is at least fun even during the day - it reminds me of something Dr. Seuss would design.


Albert continued to walk with our guests for a while - but I headed to the market to pick up supplies for dinner.  I made baked macaroni and cheese (something they had been missing) a green salad (that we all benefited from) and I put out the leftover cheese straws and cranberry sauce (which they had not had at their own Thanksgiving meal in Madrid).  It wasn't fancy, but nobody went away hungry.

Of course, no matter how much you eat, there is always room for gelato (or in my case lemon sorbet).  So, the girls and I went out and had dessert.  We closed the place down (lots more fun stories and a little politics) and headed home at around 11:30.

Tomorrow, they are planning to be in full tourist mode since they leave Sunday morning to get back to their real lives.  Hopefully the weather holds out.