Tuesday, November 13, 2018

November 14 - How Many Hours of Spanish Fit into One Day?

This morning before class, I did a little Spanish.  Then, I listened to a Spanish pod cast on my way to school.  I spent three and a half hours doing Spanish at school and then listened to another Spanish pod cast on my way to the grocery store.

I took a break for about a couple of hours to eat, rest, and cook and then did a few hours of homework.  My homework is much more open ended now, and it takes me much longer than before. 

Then, it was time for intercambio.  I listened to my Spanish radio station on the way to intercambio then spent two hours there speaking Spanish and listened to my Spanish radio station on the way home.

Also, now that Albert has started going to class, we try to speak Spanish to each other at least some of the time.

So, by my count, I have spent about 10 hours today in Spanish.  About 1000 days like this and I could probably be fluent, but let us be real, this is not in the cards for me.  Maybe I can get to functionally competent by the end of the year....

As much as I love studying Spanish (and I do - even though I am really not good at it), I also make sure to do other things each day.  Like baking a batch of cookies bars during my afternoon break.  I didn't love them, but I am also not that surprised.  Cookies are almost always better than cookie bars for me - but cookie bars are SO much easier, and today I was feeling lazy.

Speaking of laziness and food - not unlike other cities around the world, food delivery is very popular here.  I smile to myself a little every time I pass the Burger King delivery motorcycle on my way to school.  But also like other cities, it is not just the restaurants that have their own delivery that get into the act - thanks to more general services like GrubHub, UberEats, and DoorDash in the US and Just Eat and GLOVO in Spain, you can get food from lots of local restaurants delivered right to your door.  These guys are everywhere here on foot, on bikes, and on motorcycles.  I don't think that there has been one intercambio night when I walked past this Sushi restaurant and there wasn't a delivery guy from one of the services either going in to pick up an order or going out to deliver.  
For me, however, the exercise of walking to and from the restaurant and the social activity of eating out is all part of the fun. So, for now, when we eat at home it will be because I have cooked and our restaurant food will be eaten in the actual restaurant.... Don't get me wrong, things could change, like if it actually gets cold and rainy for days on end....then I may be getting that "Glovo" app and calling in for some Sushi.