Wednesday, November 28, 2018

November 28 - My Project

It was downright cold when we woke up this morning, and it had only climbed to 47 by the time I was ready to walk to school - almost time to pull out the long socks.  But by the time I walked to the market after class, it was warm and sunny.

The orange trees are loaded with fruit.
The golden tower is living up to its name.
And couple after couple attach love locks engraved with their initials to the bridge and throw the key into the river to signify that their love will last for all eternity.  The practice is common in many cities with large beautiful bridges.  I saw a couple attaching theirs today.  Of course, after pieces of a love locked section of bridge collapsed in Paris, many cities have realized the serious downside to the romantic practice and have been cutting them off before they get too heavy, and many cities have made the practice illegal.  But for the couple making out on the bridge as I passed, they didn't seem too worried.

I spent a large part of the afternoon and evening working on a school project.  On Friday, I am supposed to present for 10-15 minutes on a topic of my choice that I think the other students in my class will not know much about.  Each of them will be doing the same.  The idea is that we present and then answer questions and as a class generate a list of vocabulary related to the topics.  I will be presenting about the history of money from Bartering to Bitcoin.  With the speed of my Spanish, I don't actually need much content to fill up 10-15 minutes, but it has been a fun exercise trying to both prepare my remarks and prepare for questions.  This could get ugly.  Luckily, I have a very mellow class and a generous supportive teacher.

This evening when I took a break and went for a walk, a large group of rollerbladers passed me in the bike lane.  I am really sad that I didn't have my camera out and ready -  I only got a shot of the back of the group. Most of them had little headlights on their skates -so I guess this is a regular evening activity.