Sunday, February 3, 2019

February 3 - Superbowl Sunday?

It is Superbowl Sunday, but in Sevilla it should be Superbowl Monday because kickoff is at 12:30am.  There are a few bars in town that will be showing the game if one is interested in all night football and drinking - and who isn't?  Well, us I guess.  In Walla Walla, the main appeals of Superbowl Sunday are the time with friends and lots of food which turns into lunch leftovers for the week to come.  Of course it doesn't help that neither of the teams this year are teams that I have ever cheered for.  So, although I have been known to stay up till the wee hours of the morning to catch a livestream of a Whitman tennis match or basketball game, I will not be doing the same for the last NFL game of the season.  But if anyone wants to eat some extra nachos, pinwheels, bbq wings, little smokies, meatballs, veggies and dip, football shaped reeses cups, chips and hummus, spinach artichoke dip, or your favorite Superbowl party food for me - I would appreciate it.

Albert and I did a bit of Spanish this morning.  Then, he did some reading and I did some more Spanish. 

This afternoon, we walked to a church across town .  It has three parts - the church, the domestic chapel, and the crypt that are open for touring.  One of my classmates recommended it, and entrance is free on Sunday afternoons (although we did rent audio-guides). Although I am mostly awed by the detail and artistic beauty, every time I see one of these gilded monuments, I am struck by the resources (time, energy, materials) that are invested and wonder how this fits with the churches mission... but maybe the awe that I feel is really what they were going for, and lets face it, 300 years later, people are still visiting - so maybe they have invested wisely after all.  Just one of the things that I can't help but wonder about.




After our visit to the church, we stopped off at the organic garden that I visited earlier in the week, but it was closed - so Albert just peeked in through the gate.  Then we walked along the river for a while and ran into one of Albert's classmates from the fall.  She and her boyfriend were heading up to the restaurant in the Sevilla Tower  - we may try to check it out one day.... Albert likes to say that the only place in the city whose view is not tainted by the tower is the one from the tower itself.  I actually like the tower, but alas.