Wednesday, February 20, 2019

February 20 - Evening Life

Today when I arrived at school, the door that leads to the classrooms on my side of the building was closed and locked.  After the computer theft, the doors are only open when someone is actually available to watch students come in and out.  For me it is a sad change - it doesn't really change my life much, I just think of the once trusting group of professors and secretaries that now have to keep their doors closed and locked.

When my class ended at 7:30 this evening, I went for a walk.  Since it is dark when I come out, I sometimes don't think about this as regular business hours for some folks around town.  It was fun to see the huge doors that are often closed on weekends standing open and giving a view in... like the University Building (the old Tobacco Factory) and the Science Museum.

There were also lots of people at the public library.
And lined up to go into the historic Lope de Vega theatre that has been transformed with decorative birds for the Cuban comedy that is playing there for the next couple of weeks.

Before heading to the grocery store, I made a short stop to watch some folks playing paddle ball.  Paddle ball is similar to both tennis (same scoring, overhand serves allowed) and pickleball (solid paddle instead of strings).

Finally, I headed to the grocery store to pick up a few things and headed home.  I did a lot of Spanish this morning, but I do have a lot of homework - so maybe at least a little more tonight....