Sunday, May 19, 2019

May 19 - An Affair to Remember

Today after lunch, I walked with Albert to the gym.  While he went in to work out, I continued walking.  It has been a week since the fair ended, and I was interested to see how the fairgrounds looked.... I know that when we arrived last summer there was nothing but empty space and of course by the time the fair started there were 1,050 casetas (fair tents), a huge portada (entry gate), thousands of lights, watering stations for the horses, hundreds of vendors, and a huge midway of rides.

Today, the portada still stands (although dark), many of the strung lights are still strung, and a few casetas are still standing - but the midway is back to being a huge empty lot and most of the casetas are down to their frames if there is anything left at all.  There is still a lot of trash left.  I know the fair is a HUGE part of Sevillian life, and I did enjoy getting to spend the week basking in all of the tradition - but it is hard to get my mind around the resources required to set up, run, take down, and store all of the infrastructure for one week - no matter how memorable.
For the month from mid-April until after fair, the streets were packed with people.  This week things have really thinned out.  The city is far from empty, but you can comfortably walk down the sidewalks and even stop to snap a photo of some flowers without causing a traffic jam.  I don't mind the crowds (especially since I don't have to drive), but the return of the less crazy city has been nice too.

 I noticed these stickers on a street sign today - you might wonder why someone would put an English language sticker about the legality of flamenco on a street sign, it is actually from an avant garde band who does some crazy flamenco/electronic/political music projects.  The other sticker is just another political advertisement - this one for the Communist Party of Andalucia.
Tomorrow should be a pretty normal day.  I finished all of my homework today - so tomorrow morning, I will do a little studying but maybe there will be time for another round of souvenir shopping as well.