Thursday, May 30, 2019

May 30 - Some Cupcakes and Translation Fun

In preparation for my birthday this weekend, I made some cupcakes.  I made them today with the idea that they will be totally cool and therefore ready for icing with some chocolate buttercream tomorrow before class.  I still haven't totally figured out how I am going to transport them.... problem for tomorrow, I guess.

The armed forces demonstrations continue in the river, on land and in the sky.  I am sad that we will miss the military band concert tomorrow night, but Rome awaits.

Tomorrow, finally, there will be a second student in class.  After four days of 3 hour private classes, it will be fun to have a partner.  With that said, I have learned a lot this week and it has been a real luxury to have so much quality instruction.  I can't believe that they didn't cancel the class, but I am thankful.  Also, the other student (who is in Croatia this week with her family) returns on Monday.

I have an "extra" homework assignment tonight.  My teacher's brother has written an abstract (in Spanish) that describes part of his master's project on art in the schools.  He has to submit an English version of the exact same abstract.  There are lots of resources at his university to get help with the translation - which in the end he may use.  But, my mini-project tonight is to give feedback on his English version - not on quality or content - just an analysis of whether it is actually the same as his Spanish version...not a word for word translation of course (that would be an easy job for Google Translate) but instead making sure that each sentence in English captures the same meaning as the corresponding sentence in Spanish.  It is only about 10 sentences long, but it was both a very difficult and very fun exercise.  Not sure how helpful it will really be - or if he will even use it, but I liked having a real world example.