Monday, September 17, 2018

September 17 - Flamenco Guitars

On our first visit with the landlady, she told us about the Bienal (the international Flamenco festival that happens once every two years in Sevilla).  She said that things usually sell out and that if we were interested, we should look through the program and buy tickets without delay (this was early July).

It took a while for us to get our legs under us, but wanting to make sure we attended some part of the festival, I pulled out the program a couple of weeks later and not really knowing what I was doing, bought tickets for tonight's show - I knew that we both liked guitar - so I picked a show centered around two Flamenco guitarists, and I figured the experience was worth the price regardless.

On a later visit, I mentioned getting the tickets to Palma who assured me that even though she did not know the performers, I had chosen a concert in a great venue.

Now, more than two months later, the day of the concert arrived.  We went straight from my class since it is about a mile from my school and we needed to walk, get in and find our seats - preferably without sprinting in the heat.

We arrived at a little after 8 (for an 8:30) concert - a little sweaty - but not too bad.  The theater really is lovely - inside and out.  And I am happy to report, that the concert was excellent!  I am sure that most (if not all) of the concerts at the festival are great, but I am happy with our choice. 

I am also happy to report that I was able to track some Spanish (the usher, the man in front of us who couldn't fit in his seat and his skinny friend who was trying to be supportive, and the man who was enjoying Albert's need for a hoody since he was seated directly under the air conditioning vent).  Sadly, when I came home and watched the end of my Spanish Netflix series -  I  still really needed the Spanish subtitles.  Tomorrow, I will need to commit some time that I didn't spend tonight on grammar.  Now that I am 10 weeks in, I have learned so much, but I still have MILES to go.