Friday, September 7, 2018

September 7 - Pizza and Snickerdoodles

Experimented with cookies again today - Snickerdoodles.  I have good butter, sugar, and cinamon - so in terms of flavor, I had everything I needed.  What I didn't have was...cream of tartar.  Snickerdoodles have a very particular texture and the baking soda that I use in a chocolate chip or peanut butter cookie is not the right leavening agent for Snickerdoodles.  So, I had to experiment.  It was not a wild success, but they were ok.

Also, made it through another week of school.  Still have a long way to go, but I am actually starting to recognize progress.  Brought cookies to share with my class - they are either very kind or not real connoisseurs of Snickerdoodles (likely both), because they gave my cookies rave reviews. 

After class, Albert and I walked out to another pizza place - it took us through a part of town that I had seen before but Albert had not.  Since it didn't open until 8:30, there was no need to rush.  The pizza was delicious and the server was very nice.  It is much less stressful now that I can basically understand and respond to the waiter's questions.  I am pretty sure he was speaking slowly for our benefit - and I appreciated it.

On the way home, we walked through the square where I had seen the stretching dancers on stage earlier in the week.  They were performing - we stopped to watch for a while.

The chandelier that was hung from the shade tarps across the square was lit tonight also.

Center city is really lovely after dark - and now that it is dark a little earlier, we have a better chance of being out and seeing the night lights and sights.