Friday, September 28, 2018

September 28 - Night Run

Today after class, I walked around with the same young women from my class as yesterday.  After checking out a few places we settled on a restaurant in the city that specialized in tacos.  The food was great (fresh guacamole, tortilla soup, and tacos).  I will certainly visit this place again with Albert when he comes back.
After dinner, we made our way down toward the river to check out the Night Run.  It is an 8.5 km "race" put on by the city equivalent of "parks and rec".  Roughly 25,000 runners made the loop along the river around downtown and back to the starting point.  We came in at about the 3km mark and worked our way backwards to the start/finish line.
We watched lots of racers cross the line and some awards given out, and then it was time for the fireworks show.  It was a massive display right overhead of the finish line.  

In fact, our viewing spot was almost too good.  The massive display soon filled the finish line area with smoke (I felt sorry for the runners who had to finish off their 8.5 km in the smoke.)  But, also, little pieces of debris - sometimes still on fire when it hit the ground - fell all around us.  Sadly, for my friend from China - this was slightly more than just a nuisance when she got a piece of debris in her eye.  Luckily with the help of one of the many ambulance crews (mostly set up to help runners), she was able to get an eye wash and was almost good as new.  This exchange involved more pantomime than Spanish - none of us knew the phrase "I have a burning piece of firework ash in my eye and need to have it flushed, please." in Spanish.
With the fireworks over and the medical care complete, they headed off toward home and I headed back down to take a walk through the festival area set up near the foot of our bridge.  I watched the performer for a while...

Watched a couple of kids on the rides...
And checked out a few of the tents (mostly bars but some tapas and desserts).  I didn't actually eat or drink anything, because I was still stuffed from the Mexican dinner from a few hours before.

It was after midnight, and I was ready to head home and relax.  I watched a little Spanish Netflix and am now about ready to call it a night... or a morning since it is about 2:30.   No big plans tomorrow - maybe I will sleep in.