Wednesday, September 5, 2018

September 5 - Italian Sausage

Today I made pizza for lunch - well, not exactly.  I used some pitas from the market - but I did make the sauce.  And, since I cannot find Italian Sausage here - I made some of that also.  Sadly, I couldn't find any fennel seed - but experimenting with a little anise seed and a little cumin - I was able to come close.  Then with only 12 other common spices and ingredients added to ground pork - we had what turned out to be pretty good Italian sausage for the pizza.  Not sure I could recreate it - but hey, if I could do it once, right?

I guess the family who runs Diego's cafe across the street grew tired of waiting.  Work on the building continues - but they are not breaking any speed records.  The cafe has been closed for a few weeks for August vacations - but today it is back to rocking and rolling.  They only put a few tables out at lunch, but the dinner crowd seems back to normal.  Not sure how they are going to finish the face of the building - but I guess time will tell...

Every two years in September, there is a huge Flamenco festival (with concerts all over the city for 3 weeks) - tomorrow the 20th Biannual Flamenco festival gets underway.  We have tickets for a Flamenco guitar show in a couple of weeks, but today I passed by the venue for one of tomorrow's shows and they are getting things ready.  A large chandelier has been hung from the sheets that shade the square, the stage and lighting were being erected and tested, and when I walked by -two dancers were stretching....I am pretty flexible, but uh.... yikes!

In addition to the many shows (dancing, singing, guitar...), a photography exhibit is supposed to be on display near our house - hopefully we will be able to check it out.

Now, time for a little more Spanish with the background clinking of glasses from across the street.