Saturday, September 29, 2018

September 29 - Lots of Concerts

I went to the store today for the first time since Monday.  I didn't really need anything, but I wanted to make salsa - so that meant a trip to the market.  It is times like this that I miss having my Ninja blender.

Also today, I had a board meeting for the W-Club at Whitman.  Obviously, I couldn't make it in person.  So, from 6-9 this evening (9-12 in the morning for them), I participated via a conference call.
After that, I was ready to get out of the house.  Luckily, it is Saturday night and there are lots of things to see.

First I went to the Festival of Nations which is about a mile and a half from home.  This is the 25th annual.  It opened tonight and is open every Wed-Sun until November 4.  There are booths for different countries serving traditional food and drinks and then lots of booths selling clothes, trinkets, jewelry, candy (stacks of tubs of cotton candy) ,... And, at the far end is a stage.  Each night there are a couple of concerts.  Four or five nights have bigger names, but most nights (including tonight) are local groups.  I watched performances by a local dance school (hip hop and salsa) and a group that did traditional Argentinian dance.

Next, I headed to an outdoor concert where they were raising money to for cancer research.  The fundraiser actually had a few different concerts going on around the city, but I went to the one with a pop band.  Lots of teenage girls screaming and singing along.  I really enjoyed this one and stayed for pretty much the entire set.

After that, I headed back toward home, but decided to stop in at the Vela San Miguel festival at the foot of the bridge and watched a rock band for a while.

Then, I walked down through the tents.  I noticed this one selling nuts and dried fruit in the big part of the tent, but then had fresh coconut and other fresh nuts under the sprinkler.


And finally, before heading home, a quick selfie in front of the creepy Bart Simpson slide....
I am not sure why, but the bar across the street didn't open tonight.  The big street was rocking - it is Saturday night after all.  It appears however that someone took out one of the posts in front of the bar across the street - I bet that left a mark.
The final game of the Women's Basketball World Cup is tomorrow.  Both USA and Spain made it to today's semifinals.  The US women won their semifinal, but Australia, in a come from behind win, eliminated Spain.  I was hoping it would be USA vs Spain in the final, but it is probably better this way - no split loyalties!