Tuesday, September 18, 2018

September 18 - Chocolate improves everything

I have been putting off trying to make brownies because I am still not totally happy with my vanilla options and I was not confident about the quality of the cocoa.  But, I have been here almost 11 weeks - enough stalling.  Today, after making the bbq chicken sandwiches for lunch, I attempted brownies.  Turns out the cocoa is dark and rich and just fine for brownies.  I am still not totally happy with the vanilla situation, but with good cocoa it is not a huge issue. 

Since I am doing everything by feel (still haven't invested in a measuring cup), I was not sure I had struck the correct balance.  In hindsight, I would have used one less egg and a little more oil in place of some of the butter to get a chewier (less cakelike) brownie.  But even though the consistency was not quite right in my opinion, they had a great rich chocolate flavor with exactly the right amount of sweetness for my taste.  So, I'm going to consider them a success.

Today there were only two students in my class, a lovely young lady from China and I.  As hard as it is for me, I can assure you that she has had to work at least as hard.  Chinese and Spanish are definitely more different than English and Spanish - speaking of which her English is pretty good too.  So, although I shared the brownies with my "class", there were plenty left for the teachers at the school - who really appreciated the treat.  Many of them work LONG days.  Most teach two intensive classes a day in addition to private lessons - so anywhere from 6-9 hours in a day of direct student contact.  Luckily, they all like chocolate!

After class, I went to intercambio for a couple of hours.  I put the remaining brownies out and they were gone within a couple of minutes.  Nobody complained about the texture. 

Then after a couple more hours of Spanish - it was time to head home.

As I do every night, I spent a few seconds on the bridge taking in the view and appreciating how lucky I am to have this time in this beautiful city.  I know Albert hates that tower, but I kind of like it - especially at night.
Now that I am home, and the remains of my first brownie experiment are tucked safely away, it is time to start thinking about what to try next....