Thursday, October 11, 2018

October 11 - A little art

Earlier this week, we played the game Taboo in my Spanish class.  It is a great game for developing vocabulary (and was very hard for me).  I thought it would be fun to have a game at home to practice Spanish now that Albert is also in classes, but Taboo requires 4 players. So, I went to the department store to check out games.... I ended up buying a game that can be played with two players.  We have a three day weekend this week because of the Spanish holiday on Friday, so maybe we will have a chance to try it out.

This afternoon, before class, Albert and I walked over to my school for the scheduled cultural activity.  It was a little cloudy and cooler than it has been.  When we arrived, we were the only ones there.  The teacher waited for a while, but nobody else showed up.  I told her that she didn't have to do the activity just for us, but she assured us that she was happy to go anyway.  So off we went to a small art exhibit held in one of the buildings owned by the University of Sevilla.  

It was an interesting collection of works by artists around the theme "absent".  I am always impressed at how this teacher finds free or very inexpensive things to do within walking distance of the school every week and then prepares talking points about the activity.  

When we got back to the school, I sill had a while before class started.  Albert and I walked over to a square next to the cathedral and sat on a bench for a while enjoying some prime people watching.  In addition to the people posing for pictures in front of the fountain in the square, we spent some time watching guys go up and down the scaffolding along the bell tower of the cathedral.  Knowing how long the walk is to the top on the inside, it is hard to imagine going up and down and up and down and up and (you get the idea) as part of your regular work day.  Can you spot the worker on the scaffolding... I am not sure how you could miss him with my awesome photo skills.  

When I went in to school to pay for my next four weeks of class, I ended up changing classes to the morning starting next week.  It is going to be a little weird since we have sort of developed a routine around my afternoon classes, but I am excited for the change.  I think that my new teacher will be the woman who runs the intercambio and does the cultural activities.  Things could always change by then, however.  So, we will see.

After class, I was actually a little cool walking home.  Definitely a first here.  Lots of people in pants and even the occasional sweatshirt on my walk home.  And, I can definitely see the change in the daylight.  Of course the cloudy sky made everything a little darker as well.