Monday, October 29, 2018

October 29 - Times are Changing

With so many of our devices (computers, cell phones, fit bits) updating automatically and so few other clocks in our lives (no bedside clocks, no clock on the stove, no car clock) and us not having much of a schedule on Sundays, we barely noticed the change in time.  I thought it might seem a little later today when I headed out to school, but  since we are also having a bit of cold weather, I was too busy noticing the cold to notice the change in time.  The poor receptionist was still changing clocks in all of the classrooms this morning when I arrived.

Then, this evening when I went out for my walk, it was DARK.  But the city was still bustling with people.  There are a lot of decorations up for next weekends procession.  These young men were fighting the wind as they attempted to secure one of the flag poles with the decorative flags to the bridge rail.

Just on the other side of the bridge is a new lighted sign.  I realized yesterday that the numbers were different each time I passed...today, I figured out that it was giving a count of available parking spaces at nearby lots/underground garages.  For the most part, road signs blend in to the background for me here since we are enjoying a car-free year.  (Notice how close car-free and care-free appear.  Coincidence, I don't think so.)

You can tell that folks here are not used to the temperature falling down into the fifties in the evenings here.  It was about 58 degrees when I went for my walk and the puffy coats and sidewalk heaters are out in force.  

And, I am happy to report that the O'Clock Bar clock was showing the correct time - even though the bar is closed Sunday- Wednesday.