Sunday, October 14, 2018

October 14 - Walk Along the River

I did a fair amount of cooking today.  This morning, I made cookies.  Of all of my cookie and brownie trials so far - these were the best.  I made enough to freeze some for later, but Albert and I managed to make a pretty serious dent.
For lunch I made a chicken pesto pasta dish and for dinner I made a new batch of refried beans.  Now we have some leftovers for the next couple of days.

This afternoon I went for a walk.  I walked south along the river.  I started out on our side of the river walking along a road I use pretty often.  Of course I always see one or two things that I haven't seen before, like this bar that has a sign for a beer pong tournament in the window.

At the next bridge south, I crossed over to the other side but instead of walking into the city center like I normally do, I continued south along the river path.  

There are a series of small fountains along the path and a tile map on the ground in front of on of them where some children were identifying Spanish towns that they recognized.

I also passed this statue of liberty outside a bar....odd.
When I got down to the port area,  I walked around a little and checked out the building that houses the small Aquarium here.  I know that big ships come into this port, but when you are crossing the bridge a short distance away up near our house, it is hard to imagine that same waterway heading out to the ocean.  When Christopher Columbus set sail, it was from a port in Huelva on the Atlantic (about an hour from Sevilla by car), but the biggest inland port at the time was here in Sevilla. 

On my way back, I took a slightly different route and passed this sign.  Like any city that has tourism as a significant contributor to its budget, making sure vacation rentals generate sufficient tax dollars to pay for infrastructure necessary for tourism is a never ending negotiation.  I am not sure why this sign is in both English and Spanish or who the message is intended for....luckily we have a very good landlord that has registered our apartment correctly and even helped us register with the local authorities as temporary residents.  

England is playing Spain tomorrow in a big soccer match.  The English fans were out in force today at a corner bar - flags draped all over and lots of drinking and yelling.  The police vans were parked across the street...close enough in case there is a problem and far enough not to cause one?  

Tonight, I am going to try to get into bed by midnight.  Tomorrow is my first day of class with my new teacher and it is in the morning instead of the afternoon.  It is supposed to get down into the 50's tonight - with morning classes, it might even be cool on my way to school - YIKES!