Tuesday, October 30, 2018

October 30 - Our First Houseguests

This morning Rachel sent a message about making caramel corn.  I had some luck with the caramel sauce that I made for my cinnamon roll topping last week, so I figured it was worth a shot to experiment with a small batch of caramel corn here.  It wasn't great, but we managed to eat quite a bit anyway.  I also have some ideas about how to improve it - so I will surely try again in the coming weeks.

After the caramel corn, it was time to walk to school - sadly, it was pouring down rain.  After class, it was barely a trickle of rain, and by the time we came out of the grocery store it had stopped completely.   But, it was still cold.  I made some italian sausage (which I can now reproduce pretty consistently) and used it in a cream of potato/sausage/kale soup.  We were not sure how our house guests were going to feel when their train came in - so the plan was to go out to eat but have some soup just in case everybody was too tired.

Albert and I headed out to the train station to meet them after their long trip.  (Due to a piece of bad track, they had to get off of the train and take two different buses to a new train instead of what should have been a short straight shot.)   The stores in the station had almost all closed by the time their train came in.  As Albert and I waited in the train station, I noted that it was my first Tuesday night in Sevilla that I was not in intercambio.

Regardless of their long day that included an airplane, a tour, and a train/bus/bus/train; after a short time resting up, they were ready to head out and get dinner.  We had tapas at a place right around the corner.  The unseasonably cold weather has made for an empty street.  Tomorrow, they have tickets to see the Real Alcazar in the morning - still not sure what the afternoon plan is... I am just hoping for a little sunshine and some warmer weather for their short visit.