Thursday, October 18, 2018

October 18 - Wet Thursday

The morning started off WET.  Not sprinkles -  steady rain (with a little thunder thrown in for good measure).  I left home early to meet my teacher before class to practice her English before her test on Saturday.  I took the small umbrella that I brought from Walla Walla, and made my way across the city to the school.  As there are not many rainy days here, the drivers tend to be very conservative which is probably good, but it causes huge backups on all of the big roads.

I have spent a lot of time thinking about the transitions from English to Spanish in the last few months, and it has been fun working in reverse as my teacher (and friends from intercambio) try to figure out English from Spanish.  I also think it helps my Spanish to try to explain things.

The rainy view from my classroom window framed the empty square across the street which is usually full of cafe tables.   Later in the day, there were some tables with the same large umbrellas that protected patrons from the sun a couple of weeks ago.  But, it was pretty quiet even then.

I stayed in during the break today.  There is a guy from Japan in my class who is living in Sevilla to study Flamenco guitar with a Spanish teacher (for a few years).  He uses the break time to practice in the classroom, and I enjoyed listening to him play while I reviewed the material from the first half of class.  

Albert met me after class with the HUGE umbrella that Mario left in the flat for guest use.  Today is Thursday, which means cultural activity day.  Albert, one other student, and I were the only ones who showed up to brave the weather.  The teacher led the three of us to a small museum exhibit.  It was an interactive exhibit where a blank (metal) face was posted on one wall and dozens of photos of eyebrows, eyes, mouths, and noses were posted around the room each with a small magnet attached.  The artist asked that people used the pieces to make their own work on the blank face, take a picture and submit it.  She is going to use the submissions to make a larger work.  We each made a piece and the teacher took photos.  Then we headed back to the classroom where we each discussed (including the teacher) what we had done and why.  Lots of talking and listening.  


Our late afternoon trip to the grocery store was great - the place was empty.  Not sure if it was because of the rain or if we just caught a time when everyone else was having a siesta - but it made for much quicker shopping. 

There is still a chance of rain tomorrow, so my guess is that there will be no more work on the building this week.  Of course, with the rain, we would not be hanging laundry on the roof anyway.